Thursday, January 5, 2012

You're Stronger Than This

I really hate driving. The only good thing about it is that I'm usually alone and listening to music. Still, any time I drive a long trip, I feel like I should be doing something better with my time.

What compounds the problem is that as soon as I get on the road, I feel tired. No matter how well-rested I am, as soon as I hit a long stretch of road, I get sleepy and want to close my eyes.

I know it's all crap, though. If I'm rested, then I don't need to sleep. It is simply my mind trying to trick itself in order to prevent me from doing something I really don't like doing.

Still, if I'm making a long trip, it's for an important reason. At that point, I have to just shout to myself, "You're stronger than this." I know that it's a mental trick and I just need to use my mental power to overcome it.

This is not unlike writing. It's a difficult process. Starting a project is incredibly difficult for some people. And for the other people, that difficulty is in finishing a project. In either case, you will eventually hit a mental roadblock. You will lose your desire or energy, no matter how much you had when you reached that point.

In that situation, you have to do the same thing: tell yourself that you're stronger than this,that you know you have the ability, the energy, and everything else you need to succeed. You may not have the desire, but you do have the willpower.

No comments:

Post a Comment