Thursday, January 5, 2012

Gray Matters

I find myself to be incredibly frustrating sometimes because I am so across the board. I have serious, deep, thought-provoking conversations (and monologues), but I also make childish jokes. I am incredibly focused, but can be very easily distracted. I write stories for children and I write stories that should never be read by children.

I was thinking about Cheff Salad today and thought about my archives. There is a lot to read through. Every now and then, I entertain the idea of making a print version of the blog: either a collection of all the posts or a selected posts, maybe grouped by subject.

I then started thinking about how valuable it might be to young writers, especially children. There is a lot of advice and thoughts about life as well as writing. But then I thought about how many random posts have random profanity in it, which would make it kind of impossible to market to kids.

That is the difficulty, though. The things I find interesting, and the things I want to make, are not easily defined. They do not fit into any of the predesigned boxes. They are neither black nor white, but some gray matter, bits and pieces of all the possibilities.

Still, I think it's a good thing. If I was making something that could be so easily labeled, then how am I standing out? Aren't the best things you encounter extremely difficult to describe? I think there's a reason for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment