Wednesday, January 11, 2012

All-Encompassing Central Idea Revisited

I found myself thinking about the all-encompassing central idea: that one concept that you always write about, no matter the specifics. I realized that it is deeper than what I originally thought.

Originally, I thought my idea was two sides with conflicting ideals. As such, my original advice was to try writing about a different subject. Well, I've tried writing about different subjects, but my writing is still the same.

As it turns out, my all-encompassing central idea is sustainability. Everything I write about is concerned with maintaining a norm (or the results that come from not being sustainable).

When you have two groups living together, they must have some history. They were living together just fine for a while, but then something happened. Suddenly, they can no longer continue living the way they had. There was a sustainable situation, but it collapsed.

The same principle affects all of my stories. Even if it is about a single person living in the present day. It's somebody who either has a standard way of life that gets screwed up, or it's about somebody who is seeking a sustainable way of life.

I can't even imagine a story that is not about some form of sustainability. And that is why it is my all-encompassing central idea. It is not about the main story I tell; it's about the concept being found in every thing I write. It's about the fact that even when I try to avoid it, I still write about it unconsciously.

And if you can't avoid it, then learn how to do it the best way you possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment