Friday, January 20, 2012

Inordinate

I learned the word 'inordinate' in 7th grade. I loved that word. It was a marvelous way to say "a lot". I'm sure I used it through high school, but at some point, it fell out of my daily vocabulary. I heard it used at work today and was struck with a wave of nostalgia and general fondness for the word.

Part of me hopes that I pick it up again, that it starts becoming part of my daily usage. Part of me is worried that it will not happen.

Although 'inordinate' is a great word to me, it is uncommon. People can figure out what it means in context, but it is so rare that it would likely confuse most readers. That is what causes the conflict. Just because I know the word and I like it does not mean that it is the best choice to use if it means nothing to other people.

One thing to note, though, is that there will be a time when I find myself in a situation that the only word that accurately describes my thought is 'inordinate'. And when that situation arises, I will use the word with no qualms.

No comments:

Post a Comment