Monday, January 30, 2012

The Measure Of A Year

Last Wednesday was Cheff Salad's 3-year anniversary. In classic fashion, I thought about it that day, but forgot to mention it until several days later. Tonight, though, I am in the mood to talk about it.

Anniversaries are odd to me. I've never cared much about my own birthday, for example. I always held the Jay Sherman philosophy: "What are you so happy about? All he did was not die."

Lately, though, I have found the measure of a year to be an interesting one. It is a long time, and yet it flies by. So very much can happen, both in general and specifically to you. The days and weeks all blur together, and yet you may be a completely different person than you were a year before.

With Cheff Salad, being a daily activity, they certainly do all run together. Because of that, anniversaries are lovely contemplation points. Take a moment to stop and look behind you. Think about what you were doing, what you were thinking, what you were writing about. Where have you come from? Where are you going? Where are you now?

Tonight, having written down and pondered these thoughts, I have had a realization. I still don't find anniversaries something to celebrate. Cheff Salad is still active after 3 years. Sure, it took work and effort and dedication, but I love this thing. Anything that I want to survive, I will make sure it survives. It may be impressive to others, but to me, I simply wouldn't have it any other way.

Anniversaries should be spent in contemplation and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment