Monday, January 16, 2012

I Should Become Unnecessary

I fulfill three roles in people's lives: creator, educator, and facilitator. As a creator, I make stuff up. As an educator, I teach. As a facilitator, I help people accomplish things. And in those roles, I should eventually become unnecessary.

Primarily, this is because I am a teacher. I love knowledge and I love giving knowledge to others. But once I have taught people what I know, they have no more need for my teaching.

With facilitating, it works similarly to teaching. I like to help people get things done, but once they've accomplished their goal, I am no longer needed. Some people might come back if they need help with a new project, but if I teach them how to accomplish their goals as I facilitate them, then they won't need to come back.

In creativity, I could potentially always have more to add to people's lives. But eventually I will have used my ideas or have fallen into a style. It may be good, but it may become predictable. And if you have truly absorbed my all-encompassing central ideas, then you can move on to a new creator's mind.

What keeps me going are two things: First, I have not become completely unnecessary to anybody yet (no matter how hard I've tried). Second, even if what I can give to you is finite, there continue to be more people for whom it is new and useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment