Friday, January 6, 2012

It's Not The Same If I Know You

I'm an awesome editor. I can do very high-concept work (helping to develop a story and its structure),
very fine-tuned work (tweaking things at a sentence level, along with superb proofreading), and everything in between.

The longer I work with some one, the closer the connection gets with them. I get a feel for their style and what they want out of me. Ironically, this connection can sometimes make editing more difficult.

In fiction stories, the mix of reality and fantasy is not well-blended. When I know the author, I know which stories are from real life. I know which philosophies and which viewpoints are the ones the author lives by. It creates a disconnect from the fantasy world. I keep being ripped away from the characters because I see their puppet strings and the author tugging on them from above.

There is not much you can do here but suck it up and deal with it. Be aware that it is going to be weird and, when that feeling strikes you, just take it like a professional and keep doing your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment