Friday, September 30, 2011

Be Persistent

There is no doubt that one of the most difficult things for me to do is start something. I spend too much time planning and fantasizing (and talking about it) that it never ends up getting off the ground. Eventually, I do muster up the courage, and do whatever it was that I was planning (writing a story, talking about myself to strangers, actually going to that one place I keep meaning to).

Usually though, doing something once isn't enough. I don't like to talk about myself, but sometimes I do feel particularly proud of something and want to share it. I may post a link on Facebook, and I will get some extra traffic, but not a lot of long-term readers. It's just people who check it out and usually forget it.

That doesn't mean there is a problem with Cheff Salad, nor does it mean that those readers didn't like my blog. Most likely, they simply forgot. All I am missing is persistence. If I want more readers and I want people to keep coming back, I simply have to not let them forget. Keep advertising. Keep linking. Keep it in people's heads.

And the same is true for any of your endeavors, including writing itself. You want to be a writer? Then write. Quit thinking about it or talking about it and do it. You finished one piece? Great! Start another. Or at least do something more with it (get it published or otherwise share it).

Cheff Salad itself is an example of this persistence. It will never be enough. It always needs one more entry. And I will always be adding one more entry. And because of that, I will always be a writer (and a persistent one at that).

No comments:

Post a Comment