Friday, September 16, 2011

Move Those Fingers

I find it to be a dirty trick that I feel most creative at night. Every time I start working on my writing, my brain takes off with ideas and scenes and words, but my body falls behind. My eyes close and everything else shuts down.

Now, there is something to be said for getting enough sleep and starting your writing before you have exhausted your mental energy. But, sometimes we either aren't that responsible or simply don't have that luxury.

There is not a whole lot you can do in this situation but to stay motivated. Move those fingers! If you start getting a good idea, don't just think about it. Write it down. When you are that exhausted, you will either pass out or simply forgot what you just came up with by the time you snap your body into writing mode.

Cajole yourself into keeping continuous movement. That momentum may make you maintain your composure.

2 comments:

  1. I need to start keeping a notebook and a pen ready to go on my nighttable for these instances. Instead, I tend to just fall asleep, willing myself to remember this award winning idea in the morning. I never do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made that same mistake far too many times, Nicole. Frankly, I still do. I keep my phone near me, which I have a notepad app to write ideas on, but I rarely make use of it (nor do I remember to check it very often).

    Interestingly, though, there is hope. I still lose many of my ideas, but because I actively keep trying, I do remember more than I used to.

    http://cheffsalad.blogspot.com/2011/09/memory-can-improve.html

    ReplyDelete