Sunday, September 18, 2011

Persevere

Frustration sucks. It saps all of your joy and removes all sorts of motivation to do work, even something you love.In writing, I can easily get frustrated trying to find just the right wording to express my thoughts, or figuring out what a character will do or say in a new scenario.

The only way to fix my problems, though, is to not give up on them. Keep on looking for the right words. Keep on considering your characters' motivations and thoughts. Perseverance will get you through the rough patches, as long as you can maintain it.

I do want to say that sometimes you do have to walk away from a problem. So many impossible puzzles are easily solved when I leave it alone for a few hours or a day and come back to it. It's like my brain has processed all the information and coordinated a new strategy, all while I wasn't even aware.

Never give up. Continuously work to solve your problems as long as you can. If frustration gets the better of you, walk away from it, but come right back.

No comments:

Post a Comment