Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sometimes Writing Isn't Like That

If there is one thing I really want to do with Cheff Salad, it is to show reality. I do not lie here. I do not exaggerate in order to manipulate (only as creative license). I only speak my mind, whatever my mind is saying when I hit New Post.

Sometimes, I write about this amazingly intellectual world, this very personal process. It is not uncommon for writers to talk about working with words like they are building blocks or some material they can arrange and rearrange and stitch together. And sometimes writing is totally like that.

And sometimes, writing isn't like that at all. Sometimes writing is not about the words for me at all. I may just be trying to get a story, work on a concept or philosophy. Hell, sometimes I am just trying to figure out what happens next.

Sure, everything comes down to words. Writing doesn't exist without words (writing without words is drawing). But, the words themselves are not always the concern. There are microscopic and macroscopic aspects of writing. The microscopic can be very cool. It is truly awesome to be able to tinker and smooth and polish, to pick one words out of hundreds of thousands of words that produces the exact effect that you want. But that is not the entirety of writing.

I know that this post could be 2-3 paragraphs shorter. I have said the same thing over and over and over again. I am doing this to hammer down the point. And, to connect it with my introduction, I want to say that I will sometimes post very contradictory things here. There is a reason for that, and since I don't lie here, the reason is that writing is a large world and one of very, very opposite-seeming things which are simultaneously true.

Watch out and try not to get too stuck in your ways. Somebody with an opposite belief may be equally as correct as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment