Saturday, September 17, 2011

Eat Fewer Bees

People love to talk in abstract nonsense. You always see it in crappy high school poetry. You also always see it on Facebook. I really can't stand these sentiments. Do not speak in a public forum to an individual. Do not speak in a public forum to yourself. And if you do, at least make sense to anybody else who may be listening.

As a coping mechanism, I tend to mock and deride such posts with comments, usually taking things literally or making use of the vague wording to assume a nonstandard situation.

In plain English: When my friend posted, "I still feel you on the inside - biting through and stinging", I replied with, "Note to self: Eat fewer bees."

This does more than make myself laugh. It keeps me sharp. Vague language is something one does when they are weak. They function because you know what you are talking about, but they fail to all others because people do not have the same experiences and other pertinent background information to know what you are getting at. This is fertile ground for creativity. Fill in those blanks with your own ideas. Make it something silly or something thoroughly bizarre. If nothing else, just make it be your own idea that you find worthwhile.

Opportunity always surrounds you. Be aware of it and make use of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment