Monday, July 11, 2011

It's New To You

At this point in Cheff Salad, I repeat myself fairly often. I'm at nearly 900 posts now (this is #888 to be exact). I do not expect you to have read all of my posts and know what I have and have not written about, nor do I have an encyclopedic knowledge of every word I've ever written (which would be boring because it is so good to go through my archives and rediscover something that was not just throwaway writing). But, because of that, I will talk about the same subject more than once.

Sometimes I do it on purpose. Like, I know that one subject is basically a continuation of a previous thought. In that case, I will link to it. If there is a subject that I specifically want to talk about that I know I have done before, I will write a Revisiting post. But for every time that I'm just covering a subject I've covered before, well. . .oh well.

If you don't remember it, then it's new to you. And if I don't remember it, then it's new to me. And if neither of us remember it, then I might as well have not written about it the first time.

What I find more important is not worrying about it. If you've done it before, so be it. Do it better. You will be far better off continuously creating than maintaining a knowledge base which you focus on so much that it prevents you from adding to it for fear of redundancy.

Go forth and write.

No comments:

Post a Comment