Sunday, July 3, 2011

Freudian Slips

Freudian Slip - An article of clothing worn under a dress that reminds you of your mother.

All kidding aside, a Freudian slip is when you say something that you did not mean to say, but was on your mind and reveals some hidden part of you. It's an interesting concept, and though it is not entirely ridiculous, I only give it so much credit. What I do find interesting, though, is that there is a similar experience you can see in the written word.

Many of the typos I catch myself doing come from writing a less-commonly used word. I will type "know" instead of "knot". The former is a word daily. The latter is not. ("Not", though, is another word I use daily, and I easily type instead of "knot".)

The reason for it is simple enough. It is not necessarily that it is a word that is on my mind, but it is in my muscle memory. Because I type in a cascade of keys, as opposed to pressing one key, then pressing another key, my semi-auto pilot sometimes makes me take the common path, even though it is not the correct one.

What is interesting, though, is that you can glimpse from these errors (assuming they are not caught and corrected) the words that a person uses regularly. What are their common words? Their auto pilot words? And what do you think it reveals about them?

What are your common words, and what do they say about yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment