Friday, July 8, 2011

Monkey Work

Any work so simple that "you could get a trained monkey to do this job" is what I call monkey work. We usually think of it for jobs like working in fast food or any other cash register job, but every field has monkey work.

Even in writing, there is proofreading. That is the editing where you are simply checking for errors and correcting them. Though it does take a lot of training to learn all of the rules of language and the mechanics of the written language, it can be learned by training. And at that point, it is monkey work.

Monkey work is not necessarily a bad thing; it's simply less demanding. I enjoy proofreading. It is a simple task that I can totally lose myself in. When I am going over a piece for the first time, I am simultaneously absorbing the content as I am searching for mistakes. I don't have to worry about the big picture stuff or about the smoothness of transitions or the subtext of a given passage. It's actually the most relaxing reading I do.

That said, I also enjoy the more creative aspects, too. I love actually making my own world and people and stories. Even in editing, I love developing ideas and finding the perfect wording for a passage.

Not surprisingly, it is the balance between creativity and monkey work that makes for happiness. Find a way to be productive while also relaxing. If you can get your writing done, then decompress with some proofreading, you will be incredibly productive, but also stay sane.

1 comment: