Sunday, May 15, 2011

Use Your Time Wisely

I am returning to the 8/8/8 concept. In short, the 24-hour day is split evenly: 8 hours for working, 8 hours for sleeping, and 8 hours free. Although this is not usually how the breakdown goes, the important point is that you get a limited quantity of time in a day and that free time is where all expenditures come out of first.

Because it is finite, you should use your time wisely. If you spend your evening out with friends, then you have sacrificed an evening of reading, writing, going to a concert, or hanging out with other friends. This does not mean that hanging out with friends is bad. It simply means that you have chosen to spend your time in a particular way.

If you have a deadline you need to meet, then spending your time not doing work to meet your deadline is a bad idea. If you have to choose one optional thing over another optional thing, nobody cares. If you know that you really ought to be writing, hanging out with friends will only be so fun because of the nagging feeling in the back of your head.

2 comments:

  1. Unless this is how you work. Some people like to get all the temptation out of the way before they sit down and let the real work begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where you're coming from, but I'm not sure I believe it. I always told myself I was getting my play time out of the way so I could focus on work.

    I was BSing myself. I was just putting off doing work. The only reason I stopped and DID get my work done was that I was out of time and the fear/adrenaline/self-loathing of potentially failing my work due to sheer negligence amped me enough to put down the distraction and get some last-minute power-working done.

    ReplyDelete