Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Smart Friends Are Awesome

So, I write a post about how you shouldn't try to write a magnum opus, completely oblivious to the fact that this blog itself is a magnum opus. And then one of my friends kindly pointed that out to me. I kinda felt stupid for a bit. Then I realized that it was brilliant.

Cheff Salad itself is a perfect example of exactly what I was saying in my post: Your magnum opus can best be made by taking a single step and not worrying too much about every single step that will follow it. I never worried about writing a hundred posts, but I got there. I never worried about writing a thousand posts, but I'm well on my way there, too. I only ever worried about the post I had to do before I went to bed.

I never worked ahead on them. I only keep a log of ideas for future reference. But I also never let myself get behind. If I slipped, it was usually a day, which I made up. Sometimes it was a couple or a few days, but I still made them up. That is why I am still here, regardless of everything else that has happened.

One a day, chug along. And even if you don't want to do it, you can at least do a small piece just to say that you did it. Do it for a couple or few years, and there's a thousand posts.

All of this realization happened because I have smart friends (and ones who choose to speak). And because of them, everybody wins.

Smart friends are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment