Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ignore Me If I'm Wrong

As I was writing my previous post, I couldn't help but hear the voice of an impudent writer telling me that everything I was saying was wrong. It said that a magnum opus is perfectly fine to start with and that the best way to make it happen is to dive right into it.

I know that voice because it's mine. Part of that voice is Kevin the arguer; it's that voice that has to contradict everything. The other part of that voice is Kevin the impudent writer; that young, green, knows-everything-about-everything beginner who thought that any advice regarding caution was cowardly.

If you know that I'm wrong, then ignore me. If you are sure that you can start on a magnum opus off the bat, then go for it. Most people cannot do that. I am writing for the people who are not as confident as you.

That said, I would hope you are not so impudent as to ignore all of my words because you disagree with some of them. One day, they may ring true. No knowledge is useless, even if it doesn't immediately benefit you. Log all of the opinions, concepts, and advice you can. Have them for when they are relevant to your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment