Monday, May 23, 2011

Don't Worry About A Magnum Opus

Periodically, some kind of crazy idea comes into my head. The most recent one is a multiverse-type series. I write a story about a group of people who do various things (as most stories generally are), then I write another story using those same characters and scenario, but have them make different decisions. Each change in decision yields different results, so it is almost like a choose-your-own-adventure, but each book is an equally valid adventure.

This would be a magnum opus. I would need to start from absolute scratch. What story is there to tell? What characters would be in it? How much change can there be in the decisions made that wouldn't yield a short ending or a boring, drawn-out one?

These ideas do not generally get off the ground. They do get recorded, but the sheer size of the project is daunting and looms over me, so I let it go.

At some point, I will make a magnum opus. I may make several. But I am not going to start my career with one.

If you try to start with a colossal project, you will probably give up before then. Do tiny things. Build up your strength, your endurance, your confidence. When you are ready to take on a magnum opus, you will know. In fact, you may end up creating one without even realizing it if the project is exciting enough.

It's easy to take the first step when you don't expect your trip to be a few yards and not several miles.

2 comments:

  1. Literally no idea what you're talking about.

    You've already started one called "cheff salad".

    ReplyDelete