Friday, May 20, 2011

It Was Always Better In The Past

I came across a Youtube video of Colors of the Wind, a song from the Disney movie Pocahontas. The majority of the comments I saw were lamentations. This is such a good movie and such a good song. All the stuff Disney makes now is garbage. The stuff they made in the past was so much better.

I had to laugh. I remember when Pocahontas came out. People were making the same lamentations. Pocahontas was so terrible and lousy. Disney shouldn't try to combine fact and fiction because the movie had nothing to do with the real Pocahontas. The stuff they made in the past was so much better.

Funny how, no matter who you are, the stuff from your childhood was the best and everything else is inferior. No matter what happens, it was always better in the past.

You start thinking that way, you start being an old curmudgeon. Embrace change as best as you can. Look for the value in new things and look for the flaws in old things. If nothing else, be fair in your judgements.

Trust me that you will wish people would be fair when they start judging you.

3 comments:

  1. I saw that shiz on Opening Day. Pocahontas was LEGIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an opposite view of my writing. Most things that I have written in the past are groan-worthy. I don't think it's so much a change in ability as it is in change in personality. People change over time, and so too, do their perceptions of what's good and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully some of it is a change in ability, Liz.

    ReplyDelete