Monday, November 8, 2010

Take The Advice That Works

Working a job in sales has really reminded me what it's like to be a beginner.  Sure, I may have some talents.  The fact that I'm a good communicator and skilled in persuasive language certainly is a strong help, but there is still a great deal of specific things to learn.  On top of learning all the products and services that are offered, I need to learn the benefits that people do not think about and why it is worth paying for the conveniences.


Everybody will develop their own style when it comes to selling, so everybody will have their own tips and tricks.  When talking about sales with other salesmen, we all share our techniques, what works and what doesn't. There is a lot of advice out there.

Some of the things that people say make a lot of sense.  Other stuff doesn't seem helpful.  I don't like to use scare tactics or be overly aggressive to make a sale.  I can't flash adorable puppy dog eyes to warm over somebody's heart (because I don't have them to flash).  When advice does work for me, I take it.  I integrate it and make it one of my own techniques.

And this is exactly the same for writing.

There are these two opposite thoughts in writing: learn all the rules until I'm good, and fuck the world - I'll do my own thing and make you like it.  What you should be doing is neither of those things, or possibly both.  Listen to all the advice you can.  Think about all of them.  Then take the advice that works.  Really, you should take the advice that works for you.  That is the stuff that will make you a better, stronger writer.  You may be able to do plenty without any advice, but listening to what else is out there saves a lot of time in not having to reinvent the wheel.  So take it all in, keep the stuff that resonates, and make something grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment