Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why Spelling Matters

I saw a sign that read, "Ask About Are Free Art Classes".  I laughed at the error.  Then I saw another sign with the same error and I was disappointed.  Then I saw a dozen more of those signs and I was angry.  This was no accident.  Somebody just had no idea that they were using a completely wrong word.

For me, this is exactly why spelling matters.  These words sound identical when spoken, but are spelled completely differently.  They also have completely different meanings.  Proper spelling allows from screwups like this to occur.

Now, the common counterargument is "yeah, but you knew what they meant."  And yes, I did.  However, I'm good at figuring stuff out.  Not everybody may have understood it.  By spelling correctly, you are giving everybody equal footing.

Spelling is like a road map to pronunciation;  at least, it should be.  But we have so many inconsistent and conflicting rules of spelling in English that it can still be a bear to handle.  Nobody would know how to spell or pronounce 'psychology' without a lot of understanding of those rules.

However, our spellings do act as symbols.  Once you recognize the symbol, we know the word and the meaning.  That's why we don't have to sound out words anymore: we know them all.  Once you start deviating from that standard, you largely serve in confusing people who have no idea what you're talking about (at least until your new spellings become symbols themselves, lol).

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound the same? I always thought they sounded *slightly* different.

    Kind of like merry and marry.

    Maybe I'm just weird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of depends. When you pronounce Mary/Marry/Merry as standalone words, most people enunciate them differently. But when used in regular, full-speed conversation without particularly trying, they sound the same.

    Are/Our is the same. When you pronounce Our on its own, it usually sounds like Hour. But in full speed conversation, it can go either way.

    ReplyDelete