Wednesday, August 18, 2010

As Long As It Needs To Be

Sometimes I feel like I am cheating when I write my posts.  I end up writing three paragraphs, maybe nine sentences in total (and my sentences are only so long).  I am still in that mindset of writing needing to be several pages long, or at least five paragraphs.

But one of the things I remind myself of is that not everything needs to be the length of a doctoral thesis.  Sometimes I don't have a major point to make.  Sometimes it's just a simple fact.

In times like those, mincing words would only dilute my point and bore my readers.  I know it has always been my style to be succinct.  It has not yet failed me, so I should have no reason to stop doing it any time soon.

When you write, understand what you are trying to say and how many words it needs.  Your writing should only be as long as it needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment