Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Do The Opposite Of What You Do

Right now I am working as the registrar of a summer music camp.  I have met several people who I am enjoying thoroughly.  I have also gotten to better know many people who I am enjoying thoroughly. I was all prepared to write about how writers need to go out and meet all kinds of new people, but then I realized that this is only partially true.

If you are a naturally outgoing person and meet new people all the time, that advice is meaningless.  If you are always on the move, you should try sitting still for a while, staying in one place and just writing continuously.  This lead to more realizations.

If you evenly spend your time between meeting people and being by yourself, you should try being extreme in one or the other.  Really, whatever you would do normally, you should do the opposite.

Variety is the spice of life.  Writers need as much experience as they can get.  First-hand is even better.  Ruts are comfortable, but rob you of variety.  Get out of them and do something different. (Or do something different by crawling into one, depending on your situation).

No comments:

Post a Comment