Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Stale Words

I like the way I speak.  I use words in a relatively uncommon way, but I don't use any highfalutin words that most people would have to look up (like highfalutin).  However, I do worry that my writing style, despite being out of the ordinary, will become stale.

A clever turn of phrase or a particular wording can be very gripping, but the same style over and over again is tiring.  If I don't change it up every so often, why would anyone put up with the same sound all the time?

Then I start turning the tables and thinking about myself as a reader.  My favorite writers always have the same voice.  And I love them for it.  It makes me smile knowing I can get their sound sharing their thoughts.  I may grow accustomed to it, but I do not grow bored of it.  At least, not as long as the content stays interesting.

So now I don't worry about my words getting stale.  And that means that you shouldn't either.  Your words are your tools.  You want them to be unwavering and reliable.  Just keep your ideas fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment