Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Unnecessary Facts

I have struggled greatly with the idea of unnecessary facts.  In writing, there is a certain expectation that absolutely everything is needed.  Every sentence, every word serves a pertinent function.  Anything mentioned, no matter how casually, will be a critical component of future events.  My writing style has always been this way, sparse, even Spartan.  But I'm not sure if I agree with it.

Stories should have mystery in them, even if they are not mystery stories.  The audience should always be left guessing up until the very end.  It adds to the excitement an intrigue.  If every piece of information is necessary, then the audience knows what to look for, pay attention to, and keep in the back of their minds.  The mystery is gone.  Then all that's left is to go through the motions.

But when I try to add unnecessary information, I can't stop that voice from yelling at me in my head.  That's not necessary, so take it out. You're just wasting time and trying the reader's patience.  I am trying to work on both, butt I'm not sure which side will win.

What about you?  Do you like to give too much or too little information?  Whichever it is, do the opposite.  Do whatever you're not comfortable with.  Then tell me how you liked it.

1 comment:

  1. unecessary facts have always been the connective end pieces to the jigsaw puzzle of life, to me.

    A puzzle that will sadly never be fully realized because some pieces just can't be found.

    ReplyDelete