Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Sum Of Your Personae

I had a conversation with a writing friend, and we ended up reminiscing about the past. There was a point when she was so enigmatic to me. I couldn't figure out what she was thinking, how she operated, and it killed me because I always felt like I was so close, and then had a curveball thrown at me.

Nowadays, I don't care as much. She's my friend and my colleague. I've seen her on good days and on bad days, and the same for her seeing me. More importantly, I've come to understand that it doesn't matter who somebody might be or who they "really" are. The person I'm talking with is one facet of a greater whole. And the greater whole is the collection of those facets.

We are the sum of our personae. There is no "true self". There is all the forms we can be, stored in a single body. And whichever one comes out can be more or less random.

What I find most amazing is that our characters are basically the fragmentation of our whole selves. Each one is some form of our thoughts and beliefs, not always cleanly cut (but that's what makes it more interesting).

No comments:

Post a Comment