Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Avoid The Expected

I hate the fact that the only time people use the word "relish" as a verb, it is only ever to make a pun based on the food item. I hate that the rare time that anybody actually does use it sincerely, somebody else will make that pun instead. And I hate that the exact same thing is true with "serial" and "cereal".

What bothers me the most about it is that they're painfully common. Because people make the joke at every opportunity, it is always expected. And if it's expected, it's not funny.

I want to call attention to my wording. Specifically, I am calling things "expected" and not "obvious". That's because obvious things can be unexpected.

For one thing, whether or not something is obvious is relative. People can make jokes that they thought were particularly inspired that I assumed they were going to make.

For another thing, if you never make a joke that people think is obvious, then they expect you to never make that joke. So the time that you finally do bust it out, you will be avoiding the expected, and being amusing at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment