Monday, December 17, 2012

Life Finds A Way, Continued

When I finished writing my previous post, I realized that I had made a point that was more specific tan I intended, so I want to add on to that.

People born with some sort of disability certainly do not know what they are missing out on. I mean, a person born with no arms can see that the world wasn't built for them, but they live a very different life than a person who was born with arms and subsequently lost them.

This was the whole point of Hank Green's "new normal" (which I also neglected to link to last time). After the initial shock of having your life suddenly and irrevocably changed, and that can take a very long time, eventually the mind copes. It rewires itself and gets accustomed to the new way it has to function to keep going.

If a person lives long enough, no matter what they have gone through, they will eventually stop noticing that things are different. Or they will think about it less. Or they will be perturbed by it less. It may be a shock to other people, but the character has gotten over it.

That is the other sense that life finds a way. One's memories or emotions may be a little different, depending on whether they never had something or they lost something they once had, but with enough time, they get used to it. So when you are in their head, realize that not every waking moment is spent thinking about their disabilities or disfigurements. And really, few waking moments are.

No comments:

Post a Comment