Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I Hate It When You're Right

I am amazed at the number of times I have heard the phrase "I hate it when you're right" in my relatively short life. For one thing, it means that I am right that many times. Not only that I'm right, but that people will acknowledge that I'm right, even when they don't want to.

But this demonstrates a real problem that I have with people. We hate being wrong. It's shameful. Our value as people is measured in how often the things we say or believe are correct.

Admittedly, this could be an awesome thing. Being a person who puts more value in facts than nearly anything else, I can get behind measuring how accurate people are. But the system as we have it is broken.

When something you think is shown to be incorrect, it should be just as great as being told you were right, because you now know something for sure that you didn't before. You are now a richer human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment