Monday, December 10, 2012

Do The Best You Can

More often than not, I find that life follows the adage, "There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over." I've always hated being in such a situation - where I'm forced to do something within a such a short time limit that I can only complete it by cutting corners.

I have always been of the mindset that I should create the best possible version of something. If I'm going to put effort into anything, I should make it the best quality I can. I have no expectation of perfection; I will simply do the best I can.

This is what makes Cheff Salad such an interesting experiment to me. It's the complete opposite of that. I have to write a post every day, which prevents me from polishing my posts. I think that what allows me to be ok with that is that I'm doing the best I can and moving on. If somebody doesn't like a post, then they can come back the next day and try again with a new one.

If I ever made a Cheff Salad book, containing a number of post-like essays that I thought are most important, then I would take my time with that. I would make sure I didn't have any typos. I would write and rewrite and revise and edit my essays until I was happy with them. But that's because I wouldn't have that deadline, and I would have the luxury of taking the time to make it that good.

Ultimately, you have to find a balance between doing it right and doing it fast. Perfection is unattainable, but the more time and effort you put into your projects, the better they will become. However, you need to actually finish your project at some point. That's why the best way to go is to do the best you can. Circumstances always vary from person to person, and from project to project. The maximum level of quality you can produce will always change based on those circumstances. But whatever that maximum quality is, try for it. You will literally be doing the best that you can. And nobody should ever ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment