Sunday, November 18, 2012

Superposition Of Emotion

For those who don't know, the Schröedinger's Cat thought experiment is used to explain that, at the quantum level (i.e. very, very tiny), particles exist in multiple forms at the same time, but that the act of observing those particles collapses them into a single form.

Before a particle is observed, it is said to be in a superposition, where it is simultaneously in several forms. I think this concept is an intriguing one, and I feel like it applies beyond the realm of quantum physics.

Music is a powerful force for humans. When a song you're listening to matches your mood, it enhances the whole experience. But music also has the power to change our moods. If you wake up in the morning and are still exhausted, speed metal can get you totally invigorated for the day. And if you're down in the dumps, a bright, snappy pop song might make you perk up.

Sometimes I have no idea what mood I'm actually in. I'm definitely feeling something (I'm not numb), but I just don't know what emotion it is. So when I sit down and turn on my music player, it just so happens that whatever mood the song that played was, that also is the mood I realized I was feeling.

What I suspect is really going on is that I am somehow in a superposition of emotion, simultaneously feeling several emotions all at once. But the act of listening to a particular song collapsed my feelings into a single emotion.

I know that's not exactly how superpositions really work, but it kind of feels like that's what I'm experiencing. And if nothing else, it gives me ideas to play with, whole new realms of possibilities to explore. And that is a super position to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment