Thursday, November 8, 2012

Read The Speed Of Action

I think people read too quickly. I know that I do. I tend to read at whatever speed I'm feeling, which sometimes means that I speed through parts because I'm looking for the action.

Ideally, we should read at the speed of the action. When exciting times are going on, reading quickly heightens the thrills. But if the author is creating a scene and setting a mood, you need to slow down. Take in what they're saying and let the world grow around you.

That said, there is such a thing as too much description. Some authors don't know when to pick up the pace and get on with the story (and of course that point is an opinion that changes based on the reader). But in general, if you're feeling impatient, the problem may be that you're being impatient.

No comments:

Post a Comment