Sunday, June 23, 2013

On Milestones

This is post #1600. I consider this an excellent milestone and I am quite happy to have achieved it. As usual, it makes me think about milestones in general.

The last time I made a post about a milestone was two years ago on my thousandth post. But I think about how amazing it is every time I reach a new hundred. The crazy thing is that I reach that milestone three times a year. Because I post every day, it adds up very quickly.

That thought makes me wonder what we should consider milestones. Since I post every day, should a new hundred be a milestone? In the grand scheme, maybe not. It's somewhat arbitrary, and the sixteenth hundred seems somehow less exciting than the original hundred. And yet, I am just as proud to have reached this achievement, maybe more.

The 1600th post may not be a major number, but it is the strongest evidence that I remain committed to my daily posting and that I am just as happy and proud to be doing it now as I was in the beginning. Milestone or not, this is true.

Milestones need not always be a way to record new achievements. Sometimes they are simply points to look back and think about where we started and where we want to go. The waiting between milestones gives us time to have more thoughts and experiences, and gives our minds time to grow and change. That's what makes milestones so great to take a break and look back on. They are the checkpoints on our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment