Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Doing To Do Lists

I realized recently that my to do lists are not the same depending on their medium. My lists on paper work one way and my lists in my computer are another.

When I make a list on paper, every time I complete a task, I cross it out. When a new task comes up, I write it down. This doesn't seem too shocking because that's how everybody thinks a list looks like. And on paper, that's pretty much it.

When I make a to do list on my computer, I write down the task as usual, but when I complete it, I delete it. This is a huge change (at least, to me). With a cross-out list, it keeps getting bigger. With a deletion list, it keeps getting smaller.

This is so big to me because when you have a paper list, it looks like you are quite accomplished to see all that you've done, whereas a digital list loses that record. Also, when I work at a digital list, I keep doing things that I haven't written down, but still need to do, so I can be productive all day, but my list hasn't changed size. On a paper list, I would add those items just to cross them out, but here they are already pre-deleted (by having never been written).

I don't really think one list is better than the other. I tend to just do whichever is more convenient at the time. But with experience in both ways, I do recognize that they are not the same, and I should investigate whether one or the other is better depending on a given situation. You should, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment