Saturday, April 20, 2013

You Need The Basics

I want to continue my thoughts from yesterday. I can express myself with the most common words, but I still have to know the most common words. If I recall correctly, the average person needs to know about 20,000 words to get by in life. Since communication is a two-way bridge, my audience still needs to know the most basic words which I am using, too. This is precisely why, no matter how good I may be at my craft, it means nothing to those who do not know English.

Similarly, although language can be isolating, it doesn't have to remain that way. If I can teach people new words and use them regularly enough for them to stick in people's minds, then any such word becomes a point of connection. I implore you to teach people your words instead of keeping them to yourself and lamenting being the only one that knows them.

No comments:

Post a Comment