Monday, April 29, 2013

Taking Things Literally

I have been both complimented and condemned for being a very literal thinker. Some people are impressed at how I can use it to aid in creativity, and others are annoyed at how I take symbolism at face value.

In my mind, taking things literally is a useful tool. I find it an amusing game to take metaphors and analogies and imagining them as real events. For example, what if we lived in a modern world where people would actually stab each other in the back to get what they wanted (and it was socially acceptable)? What if lying increased our body temperature so much that extreme ones made people's pants combust?

Ideas come from my mind wandering about and probing thoughts like that. I find it always a fruitful venture for creative purposes.

If you find yourself not sure what to do or where a twist or turn might come from, try taking what characters say literally. Find a way to weave a common saying or a hyperbole and make it real. You should be able to get a pretty good surprise out of your audience, but more importantly, you can make your world all the richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment