Monday, April 1, 2013

All Stories Are Stories

With my two-month-long tabletop gaming month coming to a close, and now transitioning to business as usual, I reflect on why I did this in the first place. There were two main reasons. The first was that I really wanted to introduce role playing games into the blog because I like talking about them. The second is that I was trying to approach my main concept from a new angle.

All stories are stories. People have told stories through spoken word, written word, dance, still image, moving image, all combinations therein, and far more ways than I can fathom. Within any form or format, countless stories have been told (and countless more could be). And although each and every one of these stories will be different (sometimes based solely on the method in which they are told), they are all fundamentally related because they are stories.

Stories involve people. They involve choices. They have an intended audience. They have an intended reaction or effect.

Good stories open our eyes to the world around us and to ourselves. They make us think and question. They make us feel and act.

There are certain universal techniques that all stories can employ to affect their audience and create those thoughts and feelings. As such, any and all stories are equally valid so long as they are done well.

Cheff Salad is officially a blog about writing. And when I describe myself to strangers, I generally call myself a writer. But in reality, I am a storyteller, and this blog is about stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment