Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I Know Enough Words

I had the thought today that I don't know if I will learn any more words. Certainly, there may be slangs the come in and out of fashion, and new acronyms or proper names, but as far as regular vocabulary words, I feel like I've learned all the ones I'm going to use.

Part of me was saddened by this. My life isn't half over, and yet all my word learning is done. That's not fair.

After that, I realized that there are plenty of words I don't really know yet. Some I half know, but still have to look up. Other words, I don't at all know and have to discover. It seemed nice.

Ultimately, though, it's futile. My vocabulary as it already stands is isolating. If I were to learn new words , they would be useless because nobody else would know them.

In the end, I accept that there are more words to discover, but any new words I learn will be purely for my own edification. I know enough words to effectively communicate with people, and as a storyteller, that is of utmost importance. With that chapter of my studies largely complete, the next chapters unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment