Saturday, September 1, 2012

Shutting Up And Writing

Cheff Salad is my most primary writing outlet. My larger projects I tend to work on and leave and come back to later (which has both positive and negative results), but no matter what, I always get my daily post done.

Part of it is that this is my assignment. But part of it is that these posts are so short and I always have something to say, so it's no big deal to hammer one out in a sitting. Then I get to sit back and pat myself on the back because I have 1300+ completed entries. (They may not all be pristine quality, but they're all completed).

Thinking about this today, I realized that I have gotten so deep into long, complex stories, that I don't write any short or flash fiction anymore. And I loved doing that stuff. Partly for the same reasons I like my posts (I can knock them out in one sitting and be proud of having finished work). But also, I like that they really encapsulate the succinctness that my writing style emphasizes.

So starting the beginning of September, I am going to spend the first week writing short or flash fiction for my posts. I want to get back into doing some short creative fiction, but I also want to keep it in line with the spirit of Cheff Salad. Therefore, I will be writing these stories without prior aid. I will be writing what comes to mind, not recycling any previous stories I've done or planned.

Like all of my posts here, I do not guarantee the highest quality. These will all be first drafts, like all of my posts, so we will all find out how well I do at the same time. I look forward to the challenge and to see the results. After all of this talking about writing, I'm gonna take a break, shut up, and write.

No comments:

Post a Comment