Saturday, September 8, 2012

Affecting Lives

Mark and Angie circled the pond, hand in hand. Angie felt something was off.

"What's up, Mark? You seem distant."

Mark stared into space for a few seconds, then released his held breath. "I love you, Angie. I'm so happy that your life and mine met up and I can be there for you."

Angie raised an eyebrow at Mark. "Where's the 'but'?"

"Nicely packed into your jeans," Mark replied with a smirk.

Angie gave him a playful shove and guffawed. "Come on. Seriously, what's on your mind?"

"I just feel like I haven't done enough. I feel like I need to have an influence on more people's lives. Like, if I was never born, I know your life would be changed. I know my parents' lives would be different. But, would the world care? Would the world even notice?"

Angie's heart melted for the second time during their walk that day. Such honesty and vulnerability showed that he really trusted her. It meant he wasn't lying. And that meant he loved her and was in it for the long haul. It wasn't like a scene from a movie, but it was the most romantic thing she ever heard.

"Aw, honey,"she said, stretching the aw out. "We can't possibly imagine the effects we have on the world around us. Why, I bet you have touched more lives just today than you ever would have guessed. You may not be aware of it. They may not even be aware of it. But I know that the world would be a different place if you weren't in it. And it would be a worse place because of it."

Angie kissed Mark warmly on the lips. If Mark had any doubts about Angie's response, they vanished with that kiss. The pressure of her lips, the tightness of the embrace, the duration of the kiss - they were neither too little nor too much. They were just right, much like her words.

No comments:

Post a Comment