Sunday, September 16, 2012

It Wasn't Relevant

I know more about my stories than you. I know my characters' lives, sometimes as far back as their birth. I know the feelings people had that they kept to themselves. I know the passions they never spoke of. I don't tell you everything because not everything is relevant.

Both of these are important concepts to consider. You really do need to know everything going on. If you don't, then your characters will be nothing more than hollow shells, acting only in a manner to further the plot (rather than furthering their own desires). But at the same time, you don't want to inundate the reader with useless information. Stories follow plots.

Keep in mind, also, that "it wasn't relevant" should never be used as an example. If your readers tell you that they want to know a piece of information, then it matters. If your readers are confused or misguided because there is information missing, then you are screwing up.

Find the balance between giving your readers enough to want more, and enough to satiate them, bu not enough to overload them. Then you will be sitting pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment