Friday, September 28, 2012

Don't Just Parrot Others

Every time I find a new favorite person, I have trouble making my own posts. Basically, I get absorbed in what they have to say, their words get stuck in my head, and all I can think to write about is the stuff they've already covered.

In this case, the primary rule I follow is don't just parrot others. If your hero talks about writing good horror stories, that doesn't mean you can't talk about horror. It doesn't even mean you can't bring up the points that your hero brought up. What it boils down to is that you need to bring something new to the table.

People should look to you for what you have to say. It is your look on things that keep them coming back. So give people your thoughts.

I know it's easier said than done. Most things are. And if you really just can't think of anything to add on the subject, then put it on the back burner. Hey, that's why I keep a list of ideas for just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment