Saturday, June 2, 2012

Miscommunication Is A Stupid Plot Device

I really can't stand it when miscommunication is used as a plot device. I find it to be a cheap, hokey trick to create drama when there isn't any.

Miscommunication only works when you have characters who are so stupid or impulsive that they will act without thinking and never check in before it's too late.

Sure, I can see it being based in reality, but reality is stupid and obnoxious (if it wasn't, we wouldn't read for escapist fantasy). The kinds of characters who would be in a story of miscommunication are the ones that I have no desire to root for. They are fools whose only problems are ones of their own making.

1 comment:

  1. Hello weary traveller.
    We have never met before, and I have no idea who you are. But we have one thing in common, we both behold this graveyard together. This ghost town of ones and zeroes, once teeming with life but now nothing but a tomb.
    As I walk through this shrine, words perfectly preserved from eons ago, I start to wonder about the people who lived here. Are they okay? Do they still laugh and grow and breathe? Do they remember this place? Was it a precious place for them?
    There's a sombre air, here. Witnessing hours of dedication decay and crumble. Formatting breaking, ads clogging the screen, dead links littering the ground like used party poppers. Cast aside and forgotten, slowly bleaching and rotting beneath the sun.
    I hope you are well, dear traveller. I do not know when you will recieve this, but we are witnessing the same memorial, wading through the same abandoned relics. I hope your stay brings the answers you search for. I hope you are surrounded by love, and can build a semblance of comfort here.
    For a long time I thought comfort was something you found, but now I know it's something you build. At the very least, I hope I can build some comfort for you, dear traveller.
    Maybe our paths will cross again some day.

    ReplyDelete