Friday, June 8, 2012

The Illusion Of Image

I am amazed at the power one can attain simply from their image. "Image" is actually quite an accurate term, since it truly is a judgement based on what we see.

Somebody sitting on a throne must be a king or queen.  Somebody with a clear coil earpiece must be a security guard or government agent. A person sitting in a VIP section must be a rich high-roller.

But those aren't facts; they're assumptions. A throne is just a chair. A headpiece can be bought easily. And a VIP section is just space.

Still, it is hard to think differently from those assumptions. They're correct more often than not. And unless the person does something significantly out of character, we generally have no reason to guess something is amiss.

As usual, I want to play with these observations. I want to see if I can fool people by presenting an illusory image with clues that make sense only after the reveal. I want to see if there even should be a big reveal. I want to know what these illusionists do on their days off.

I invite you to do the same. Let me know what you come off.

No comments:

Post a Comment