Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Creativity On Tap

Story ideas are interesting things. They can so easily come and go. Countless are the stories of brilliant ideas coming when there is no way to record them, and nothing coming to mind when actually ready to work. But this is not always the case.

When I am in the middle of a project, I feel like I have creativity on tap. If I have to take a break, the idea stream pauses. However long my break is, the ideas wait. It is a convenient system for the process, but it comes with its own cost: planning ahead.

When I start working on a project I basically can't skip ahead. When my idea stream pauses, the whole thing pauses. I cannot even mentally process the rest of the story; I can only do that by writing it. It's kind of like a writer's block that I imposed on myself.

The idea of having creativity on tap is pretty appealing. I admit it's nice. For my preferences, I love being able to basically have a mental bookmark I can place in my story before I've even written it. But it doesn't make me a better writer. And honestly, if it wasn't something my brain just kinda did, I would be taking notes on paper of everything I wanted to make sure I did during my next writing session. (I know this for fact because I have done it plenty of times when I didn't trust my mind to remember it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment