Friday, April 15, 2011

You Are A Tool

I was listening to a talk given by the writer Elizabeth Gilbert.  It was about genius, what it means, what it used to mean, and how we can use those definitions to our advantage.

In talking about the history, she had mentioned that ancient societies used to believe that, when an artist of any kind (writer, singer, dancer, etc.) did an exceptionally spectacular work or performance, it was the influence of mystical creatures - daemons, geniuses, or gods.

As a writer, you are a vessel for creativity.  You channel these spirits and when they deem you worthy of telling their story, you do so.

Ms. Gilbert believes that there is value in this idea because it allows you not to worry about success or about failure.  You put in your effort because that's your job, and when you mix that with your faith, a story will generally come to you.  It removes the ego, which removes the worry.  It is not about how good are you, what will your next masterpiece be, or if you are past your prime.  It is merely about doing your part and hoping that the spirits will do theirs.

And never has it been more clear that you are a tool.  It may be in the best possible way, but it still makes you a drone.  Although it is your body and your mind doing the physical work, all the great creations are not yours, which means it could just as easily be anybody else's.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.  There is a freedom there; I'm not in competition or trying to prove my worth because I am worthy when I am inspired, which happens far more often as I write more.  But along with that freedom is the lack of specialness.  I am merely a body for the real writers to use. I might as well be taking dictation.  What the heck kind of life is there in being an average Joe who periodically gets taken over?  I would far rather be responsible for my skills and abilities.

Whatever belief you choose for yourself and your creativity, the important thing is that it makes you happy.  It would also be useful if it made you write.  Because if your beliefs only harm your desires, they're pretty crappy beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment