Friday, April 15, 2011

12 Lines

I was listening to a song that I liked, when I got the urge to go look up the lyrics to it.  Big mistake.  I once again discovered that this great song had a mere 12 lines of unique lyrics.  Instantly, this grand piece seemed a great deal smaller to me.  Listening to it wasn't the same, either. It seemed shorter and less impressive.

Still, I shouldn't be so critical. Music is a combination of factors.  You have your rhythm, your melody, your instrumentation, your modulation, and countless other aspects.  Lyrics are merely one component of the whole.  I should only expect so much out of 12 lines.

Wait a minute.  That's crap.  12 lines is plenty.  Some of my best work has only been 12 lines long.  I've made people cry with 12 lines.  A great writer can pack a novel's worth of power into 12 lines.

So, step right up and test your strength.  I will give you 12 blank lines.  You fill them with words and cause an emotional response.  Anybody can be a winner.  If you win, I'll send you a wicked sweet prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment