Monday, April 25, 2011

It Depends On The Time Of Day

I've really been into the song What You Know by Two Door Cinema Club. So, as always happens when I get into a song, I listen to it all day. I had an interesting experience with this one today.

I was listening to the song in the early morning before work and grooving on it. Singing along, moving to the beat, just thoroughly into it. When work started, I put the music away, but was still thinking about it. During my lunch break, I pulled out my headphones and put the song on again. This time, it wasn't so grand, just a bunch of meh - not bad by any means, but not as special. They day progressed, I finished work, I went home, and as night came, I was on my computer writing. Then I realized I was in the mood to hear What You Know again. I put it on and it's right back to the way it originally was: the most moving and lovely piece of music.

It's not fair. The song didn't change, but I did. How do you trust your opinions when they vary based on the time of day (and all the other factors involved)?

The simple answer is that you can't. You have to be aware that you are not a steady rock in an ever-changing sea. Frankly, you're the ever-changing sea. But at least, when you know that, you can know to take your opinions with a grain of salt. If you don't like something the first time, wait a while and try it again.

This applies to everything - stories you read, stories you write, your wordings, your words, concepts or relations you find interesting, absolutely everything. Just because you like something once doesn't mean you'll like it forever, and just because you don't like something right away doesn't mean you never will like it. Maybe it will take a few years to change your mind, or maybe it depends on the time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment