Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gerunds Are Cool

This post is just to talk about gerunds.  I think that gerunds are cool.  A gerund is when you use a verb that ends in -ing as a noun. Every time you talk about "my writing", you are using a gerund.

Something about gerunds just strike me the right way.  On the one hand, I find them funny.  They have a silly-sounding name and a silly concept - it's a verb, but we're going to make it be a noun.  On the other hand, I find them deep and awe-some; although the word represents an action, we take a step back and realize that the action itself can be treated as a cohesive thing, which a gerund simultaneously represents.

I don't go out of my way to use gerunds.  I generally don't go out of my way to teach somebody what they actually are unless they really want to know.  We all know how to use gerunds; it's just part of learning the language.  We just don't usually know that it's a thing or that it has a name.

You, though, do.  You are now aware of one of your tools.  You can simplify a phrase by referring to one's "partying skills" instead of a clunkier line like "the skills one uses to have a great time at parties".  More often than not, a gerund is a great way to clean up a heavy sentence.  And if your sentences are all of a healthy weight, then it's a nice way to add some spice to your language by throwing it in for a change.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. I'm forwarding it to my pals at the Seven Valleys Writing Project.

    DF

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, can one speak of "my gerunding'?
    Just wondering.
    Jerry Masters (7vwp)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure can, Jerry!

    I know there is an actual term for that, but I always use the one from Calvin & Hobbes: Verbing.

    (Further research has found that it is called conversion.)

    (Further research has also found this sweet Calvin and Hobbes strip: http://madshakespeare.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/calvin-and-hobbes.jpg )

    ReplyDelete